Demolition Man
Nothing makes a guy feel more masculine than swinging a hammer at things and breaking them into little pieces. Yesterday evening I got the opportunity to do just that as I started the demolition of the old bathroom, ready for a full update later in the week.
The budget is set, the timescale is limited (finished by Thursday???) and I'm the cheapest labourer we could find! Perhaps this is an understatement, but it's not as easy as it looks. I don't know how far to take the demolition. I didn't really want to demolish right down to the wall studs, but if I don't get it right this time, I might be forced to do it all again if mold develops.
There were a few interesting "finds" last night. The first was a very unique and unusual walpaper with cartoon type pictures of different toilets.
Another surprise was the walls behind the fake-tile-look on the walls. I expected drywall or concrete board, but instead I found wooden beam. Not studs, but strips of side-by-side tongue and groove hardwood (old hardwood flooring perhaps, ...but on the wall?).
The last frustrating surprise was that the drywall and fake-tile is from a previous bathroom fitting, which originally went behind the bath and shower. Sadly, when the bath surround was added, they put it over the fake-tiles, so now I have to fight with the bath surround to get the old walls out.
We had the phone, cable tv and internet hooked up today at the new place, but the cable guy said that there were problems with the connection box on the street, so it may not work properly until they return to replace it later this week.
So I'll try post more updates tonight, unless the internet is down.
Labels: House

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home