Severe Surrender
Last weekend I went to camp with my OIS (divisional youth chorus) buddies. I really enjoyed having time to catch up with everyone and we were brought a very challenging message. The message was basically Jesus surrendered an awful lot for us (despite our unworthiness), so what are we going to surrender to God? I was stumped at first because I know I've already surrendered a lot to follow God's will. I gave up my career and moved away from close family...what more could God possibly want?
Then I realised how blessed I've been since we moved here, granted there have been some pretty rough patches, I'm not painting a perfect picture of our experience or anything. Spiritually I have found new ground, I have more respect for my bible and putting into action what I read in there. I have been pushed out of my comfort zone on several occasions (especially at the hostel) in order to stretch my faith. I've been challenged by teenagers and more recently by residents at the hostel and I've found myself using my experiences and my biblical knowledge to answer their questions rather than resorting to my own reasoning. This summer was a roller coaster and throughout I was doubting God's will and leading whether we should still be in Canada or not. As September has arrived we've had prayers answered and everything is starting to fall into place. I praise God for answering our prayers and I pray that I will see His logic more than my own in future.
So what did I decide to surrender to God? More of the same, I felt confirmation that the work I've started doing at the centre is worth while and that God is blessing all the little things I've taken part in there. I'm going to carry on leading morning chapel a couple of times a month and I'm going to keep praying for the lost souls. I'm going to show as much love and compassion as God allows, I've already had numerous chances to pray with them and talk with them. When the baby comes I know I'll be distracted, but I believe it will open doors to even more people because I will have one more issue to share with them...more common ground. I don't want to get so wrapped in my life and my new family that I don't see how desperate these people are any more. Friends, please keep me accountable to this...the only reason I'm sharing it so openly is because I'm scared I will get distracted.
Well at this rate my next post will likely include baby pictures! It's only 18 days until baby is due to arrive! Maybe I'll write some more light hearted posts before then.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home