You are now entering the fascinating world of Ryan and Tasha!


'The Parkins' For Dummies


Friday, February 02, 2007

Go Knights Go!

I went to the "London Knights" ice hockey game tonight, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it because I didn't know any of the rules or any of the players or even what league they play in! I am pleased to report that it was great fun the crowd was really quiet for most of the game. Then in the last period everything changed the atmosphere was suddenly urgent and exciting because the knights were down 3 -4 to Sarnia. They equalised a couple of minutes from the end and the place went wild, then we scored again to make 5-4 with about a 1 minute to go...so I thought it was all over. I was so wrong, I'm used to football where a minute is basically the end of the game because it takes so long to get from one end of the football pitch to the other. Hockey is completely different because within that minute Sarnia scored too making it 5-5 with 35 seconds left on the clock. They went to extra time where they play "golden goal" to determine the winner and the knights scored within seconds! The stadium went wild jumping out of their seats cheering...okay I joined them because I was so impressed with the speed and accuracy of the game.
I went to the game with quite a closed mind thinking I might find it boring or long and I'm so happy I was wrong. There is something wonderful about seeing a sport live, it convinced me that hockey is actually very entertaining. I didn't like watching it on tv simply because the puck is so small and it moves so fast it's hard to see whats going on, but now I know the rules a bit better I might reconsider that opinion.
I realised something else tonight, I have a "small town mentality". The reason I say this is because I now live in a city where exciting things happen all the time, they're on the news all the time and their local team is actually at the top of the league. I'm still surprised when I see places I recognise on the news, and on the weather map London is marked out. This is such a contrast to Warrington where noone has ever heard of their football team and they rarely got on the news. I didn't even know where we were on the weather map until I was in my teens! I can live in a city as long as I like but I know I'll always be a small town girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home